Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The race? the triconfecta. The prize: date w/ Mr. M

     This Saturday night, Mr. Man has agreed to go to an adults only party with me.  I spent today planning what to take for our dish, and I decided on a tri-confecta of sweets.
   
So our finalists are:
    *candied lime & ginger, super easy and looks pretty.
My thoughts are to make the ginger first, using Alton Browns recipe off the Food Network site, take some of reserved liquid, and hope there's enough ginger flavor in it to infuse in the lime slices while they cook.
If that doesn't work, I'll take some of the finished product, and grate/mince it, then mix with the sugar to coat the limes.  Maybe I'll do both.  I may need more limes. Stay tuned.
    *Candy cane meringues
This is a pretty standard recipe.  I sourced it from allrecipes.com.  E1 is very excited about these.  They're cookies he can eat without being different than everyone else. 
    *Mr. Man's caramels, from a fabulous recipe on tasteofhome.com  He made these tonight, a batch for home and a batch for the party.  I'll have to hide the party batch before bed.

Honorable Mentions:
    *Martha Stewart's peppermint icicles:  In a lot of ways, I would rather make this than the meringue.  Visions of 300+ degree sugar and a curious four year old stopped me.  There are years ahead for me to try those kinds of candies when it's only my skin at risk of being melted.
   *Taste of Home's 2 layer peppermint fudge:  Only one kind of tricky recipe per mom event please.  Besides, this is too close in texture to the caramels, and those were my bribe to get Mr. Man to go!

    It was only at pick up today, describing it to my kids, I realized two out of three final recipes are something everyone in my house can eat.  The third one is my husband's favorite candy in the world, and it, too, is at least gluten free.  It just shows how when we change our actions, how we think can change too.

No comments: