Monday, April 16, 2012

See. I can finish a project? mostly....



There it is.  Our dresser turned raised bed, filled with dirt.  We had it built and painted a while ago, but were lacking the motivation to get it "planted."  So there it sat, with the roll of hardware fabric,peat moss, and organic soil until I checked the weather for last weekend.
"Honey, it's supposed to be kind of windy this weekend.  50/50 on a tornado within fifty miles.  Let's get the raised bed in place and weighted down."
"Ok."
That was last Saturday before lunch.  Hey, I didn't say I was motivated by logic.
So out in the yard we went....and like any other project with a deadline, children magically appeared.
"Can I help?"
"No, I wanna  help!"
"I'd help, but I don't want to get my dress dirty before the party. So I'll just sit here and watch."
"Mommy, I move rocks!"
"Can I dig?"
"I have the hoe!" (Uh, no.  You're swinging that thing a little close to Dad's head.  Thanks.)
"Wow.  This ground is hard."
"How many rocks are there?"
"Let me break open the dirt with the shovel!"
Exciting times to be a kid.  Digging a hole, moving a box into it, and filling it with dirt.
"So when are we getting cucumbers?"
Not this year.  It's a bit late for cucumbers, and I want to train those to a trellis.
"So what are we gonna grow?"
Tomatoes and peppers.
"When do I get to pick?"
When I have more than one raised bed.  I guess I better start scouring yard sales for old dressers.

No comments: