Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Littlest Man, and recital dancer boy, and camping scouts....



         Yeah this weekend is a tad busy.  First thing up of import was Si Guys birthday yesterday.  Littlest man turning five was a huge deal in the world of mom.  My baby is growing up.  So what did we do for this monumental, tear-inducing milestone?
" I want monkeys with bananas."
"Sure we can do monkey cake w/ bananas"
"And chocolate!"
ok.
"And lunch at Taco Bell!"
ok.
So that is what we did.  I made banana cupcakes with chocolate frosting and Si Guy & I put monkey faces on them.  What was awesome about this cupcake was how "kid help" friendly it was.  The faces were just vanilla wafers with smiles drawn on in red gel & noses w/ food coloring pens.   We used pre-made candy eyes, (available at Wal-Mart), and mini vanilla wafers cut in half for ears.  No, he didn't draw or cut...but he had a great time eating and decorating with cookies and candies.  We also made banana flavored fondant from a recipe I found on Pinterest!  It turned out kinda like a mix between floam and play doh in texture, so the kids had a great time making "bananas" for their "monkeys" to eat after school.    We did manage to sneak in lunch at Taco Bell too before I took off for our next event, the all school end-of-year party.

This was E1's last "all school" party, because sixth grade does their own thing.  It was perfect day!  The kids loved the inflatables, frozen desserts, DJ, hula-hoops, all of it.  I loved seeing them have a great time.  I loved that there were no major injuries.  I loved recruiting one of my favorite people into a chair for PTA next year.  Clean up was fast, and it was fun getting whisked away in the van in the car line.   Good  to see things from the kids perspective.

After getting home from that, it was time to take E1 to his dress rehearsal for his recital today & get dinner for the herd that remained.  (Our oldest is on a 2 night camp out to prove his "manliness" with minimal food.  I have until 12:30 tomorrow to have my refrigerator stuffed.)  After his rehearsal, we went for a mother-son meal at Wendys, came home and gave the birthday boy his present...(a hot wheels track the older kids have played with as much as him,) did some grocery shopping and collapsed.

Then it was off the the farmer's market this morning, getting the girl scout ready for her camp out, and the 2PM performance of E1.   It was great seeing him a stage again with the "dance joy" look on his face.  I hope this wasn't the last time I get to see it.

I still have Sunday ahead too, with being Mrs F & picking up the oldest & the grocery store gauntlet I haven't gotten around to yet.    I love being busy, but I'm still  hoping next weekend is a quiet one.

No comments: