Wednesday, October 10, 2012

So, what is NaNoWriMo anyway?


    NaNoWriMo is for National Novel Writing Month.  It's a place for everyone whose ever "wished" they could write a book to do it!  It's a mass literary madness support group.  Since they wish to make the process as masochistic as possible, they choose the month of November for this project.  Anyone who'd like to learn more about NaNoWriMo just follow the link here:  http://www.nanowrimo.org/

   Why yes, I've decided to participate in this event this year.  Thanks for asking.  What do my kids think about this decision?

"Hey, I'm doing NaNo this year.  You want to do the teen version?"
"Nah, I'd never win."
"Sure you could.  It's just like the spiral "book" you were writing with your friend A."
"But it would never get picked."
"Dude, you win by finishing.  It's 50 thousand words in 30 days."
"When would I do this?  I have school, and football, and stuff."
"I have to feed you, drive you, and stuff too.  What's your point?"
"Mom, writing a novel in 30 days is just crazy.  WHAT is that?"
"Those books are my research materials for the novel."
 Hey, Greek Wars?  Gimme that book!"
Gee, thanks for the support kid.  NEXT!

"A fifty thousand page book in a month?  Why would you want to do that?"
"Gives me something to do while waiting for you in rehearsal."
"Oh.  What are we going to eat?"
Good question son.  Good question.

"Mo-om.  Why are you we-search-ing?"
"For my book."
"My teacher must be smarter than you.  She never has to look anything up."

"No computer for a month?!  Mom, you can't do this.  Or at least Dad should buy you a laptop."

Dad?  What does Dad think about this?

"Whatever you want to do is fine with me honey."
"Are you sure you don't mind?  It's not like I'm a great housekeeper to start with."
"We'll be fine."
"I'll still feed you."
"We'll be fine."
"This doesn't seem fair to you.  You already do more than your share."
"Honey, do it.  You want to.  WE. will. be. fine."

There you have it.   They'll be fine.

No comments: