Friday, December 21, 2012

Everything is beautiful at the ballet

    Just about anyone that knows we exist knows our second son is in the Nutcracker with the Kansas City Ballet at Kauffman.  My mommy heart has just about burst with love and pride in our son, and how he's grown through this experience.   Yet, while part of me today is going, "Yay!  Only three shows left!"  part of me is also deeply saddened that this magical experience is almost over for my child.
     Here in this little space I need first to thank the Company.  The unconditional acceptance of who he is, along with the attention they paid to him, is a great deal of what made this experience magical for my son. This statement especially applies to those men who have been fathers to my son in family three.  Not a day of rehearsal with the company went by where those men weren't what put the shine in my son's eyes as he bounded out to the car from rehearsal.
"Mom, today he picked me up!"
"Mom, today he just put a hand on my shoulder."
"Mom, I think they like my jokes."
   Another piece of what made this magical was seeing my son "fitting in" with other children.  Anyone who has a child who marches to their own drum will understand what I mean by this statement.  It has been a joy to be in line, waiting to pick him up, and see him sitting on the wall with his 3DS, sharing it with his "sister".  It has been a joy to hear about how these kids support each other unconditionally in the dressing rooms and on the stage.   What I have not heard is a joy too.  I have not heard about cliques, or bullying, or isolation...just about support, and kindness, and joy.
    Perhaps the most important part of this experience though has been watching my son mature.  He has always been a perfectionist, to the point of pain.  Through this experience he has started to learn it's okay to let go sometimes and just live to enjoy life and revel in  each moment.  He is a child who has always felt "different", but has learned to accept himself and that it take those small differences to make a complete work of art.  He has learned optimism, and his own strength.  Just last night he walked up to me flexing his arm and poking at a new little arch.  "Mom, what's that? Huh? What's that?"
"It looks like a muscle to me."
"Exactly!  I'm getting strong."
Yes you are, my son.  Yes you are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Merrilyn, my heart is melting like butter!!! I don't know you son, but I do have a grandson that walks to the beat of his own drum, what you just told me has blessed me and encouraged me to know one day he will find his. Thank you so much for sharing.