Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Unscheduled time does not mean unused time

After changeover at the clothing center yesterday, a friend & I dropped off some cast offs and went to lunch.
She asked me, "Are you sure you have time?"
I replied "Yes.  I had changeover this morning and Ms. D has girl scouts tonight, so I left my afternoon unscheduled.  I always try to plan to leave one day part "free", so if  I have a morning and thing and an evening thing, the afternoon is open."
She just stared at me dumbfoundedly and said "I wish I had that luxury."
I feel like I didn't explain it well enough.
As a stay at home mom with six kids, it's easy to become overwhelmed by "schedules."  There is church, PTA, sports, errands, doctors appointments, and various other things always demanding my time.  As a more creative personality type, if I get too "rule-driven" or "schedule-driven" I just break down and get nothing done.  So I build a block of "flex-time" into my day.  It's not necessarily "free time."  Merely time where I can choose, at that moment, what my priorities are.  Yesterday, at that moment, I chose to get to know an acquaintance better and have lunch at Zarda barbecue.  Today, at this moment, I am choosing to blog while supervising my kindie's homework.   Another day, another moment, I may choose unload and load the dishwasher and start of  load of laundry or sweep the dining room.  Housework always has to be done, but it's much less of a drudge when it's a choice.   There are enough "this has to be done NOW" moments in life, without imposing them on myself.  As long as the house isn't a health hazard, the kids have clean clothes and are fed, and my husband is happy, everything is all right.

No comments: