Thursday, August 15, 2013

The last little bird has started to fly.

Today, is the first day in almost fifteen years I have spent an entire school day alone.  Yesterday, Mr. Man worked from home.  A few things I've come to realize.

8-3 is a much shorter time than I ever imagined.
I am very good at housework avoidance.
Letting go is hard.

   It only goes faster from here.  Mom...mom...mom...I NEED you turns into "why were you on the porch when I got home from school?" awfully quick.
   The younger kids are like puppies tripping over each other trying to tell me the best part of their day and show me their homework.   They are all hugs and cuddles, and a tad clingy after a whole day away after spending the summer with mom.  They yap about their pals, their shoes, anything.
  The middle schooler gave me the teacher rundown on the first day.  He gave me stuff to sign on the second.  He asked me to buy apples this morning.   
   The high schooler: 
" So, how do you like your teachers?"
"Fine."
"What class do you think you'll like best?"
"I dunno.  Probably video."
"How was your first day of block scheduling?"
"Okay.  I only had one honors class, so Wednesdays will be a light homework night."
Notice, nothing...nada...about the teenagers friends...either one of them.  They are starting to separate their social lives from us.  It's normal, but terrifying.  I'm their mother.  I NEED to know everything.  Then again, remembering my teen years, maybe I don't.

No comments: