Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy Mother's Day (belatedly)

I confess, I didn't even call any of our three moms on Mother's Day this year. One doesn't care about Hallmark Holidays, one's used to being totally ignored, well mostly...and besides, she has the perfect daughter.
BUT my mom, how could I not even send her an e-card?
Mostly because my world was spinning so fast being a mother this weekend.
I started with good intentions. I did all the grocery shopping on Friday, so that we could have a lovely weekend. Exhausted, but satisfied, I went to bed Friday night confident of a fun day on Saturday, and making myself available on Sunday for whatever my mom would like. Be it an e-mail chat, an impromptu lunch, running down to the country with a Tippins Strawberry Pie, I was prepared....or so I thought.

Saturday morning, boy child #1 blows the toes out of his only pair of tennis shoes. Turns out he mistook them for brakes for his bike. Talk about a forehead smacking moment. Shoe shopping for something that suits his tweeny tastes, yet meets parental quality and pricing standards takes pretty much all day. By the time we get home, the 2nd NBA playoff game has started, and dh is in the "man zone." So much for a fun day of parties.

Sunday morning: Sunday School Breakfast! YUM! Uh, what are we bringing? Oh, and honey, do I have ANY clean shirts.
"I don't know and no."
Time for a Wal-mart run. Get home, change shirt. Load kids in car. Off to class.
"Why do we have to stay for service?" whines a child.
"Because I'm Mrs. F today in Kidz World, that's why."
I do have a blast acting in Kidz World....was probably the highlight of my weekend. Even if it is about mulch and meatloaf...there's something to envision. Hope she didn't get her ingredients mixed up in the kitchen.
Then we get home. Now, just to finally get on the computer, or the phone...
"Um honey,"
"Yeah"
"When are we getting the stuff the kids need for camping next weekend?"
So much for a shopping free weekend.
A bunch of kids acting like a circus at Target, prying tweeny off the fishing equipment at Dicks, figuring out exactly what would make a good "sit-upon" and a bill pay later, we get home. Yep, the afternoon was shot, and so were we. And then...there was more basketball.
Sorry mom about the blank text. It was supposed to say Happy Mother's Day.
Yes mine was great. I have a fingerprint poem, stick figure card, laminated book mark, and lots of smiles and hugs. It was perfect. Really.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Glad the mother of two perfect daughters had a great Mother's Day!