Tuesday, September 14, 2010

At 3am I will have an eight year old!

E2 has already had most of his "birthday." We bought him a new bike and a new football. He ditched practice Monday night to go to the school skating party. His grandparents came. Tomorrow we're just having his fave, spaghetti, for dinner and I'll bake a cake while he's at school. Maybe buy a book or trinket just so he feels like he has a "real" present. For some reason, to him, the early ones are great but aren't official.
This year E2 has started playing tackle football, and with the addition of helmet and pads, has started paying attention more. His part grizzly bear, part pit bull, part fatherly coach manages him well. He's officially an offensive guard on the line now. They figured out that he needs a definite focal point on the field. Eventually, I hope he'll grow into that in other areas.
Even though Si Guy is younger, E2 has always held the "baby boy" spot in my heart. Now he just shares it. E2 is my "huggy buggy," my "sunshine smiley boy", and my "Odie child." In other words he's affectionate, optimistic, and oblivious to the evil intentions of others around him. It makes him really easy to like.
He's not without flaws, because his head is rarely attatched to his shoulders, he's the child who most often does things "because." Some of those "becauses" have already been described in detail in earlier entries in this blog. His most recent should I laugh/cry/or scold moment was at Wendy's Sunday. After his game, he had to use the restroom. He came back to the table with his bright red athletic cup in hand. "What should I do with this mom?"
Ah, E2, E2. What should I DO with YOU? Just love you.

No comments: