Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A tale of two pool trips.

This summer my kids have been rotating between here, camps, and grandparents...so every week it's a different mix.  We have season super-passes to the local outdoor pools.  The kids can count on swimming about twice a week when they're home.
Early in the summer, it was just me and E1 a lot.  We'd go to the pool.  I'd take a book.  Read a little,doze a little, watch him dive and slide, and occasionally hop in the water to meet the kids he was playing with and cool off.  It was fun and relaxing.  My kid was happy I was there, but happy to be "on his own" for the most part.  I sensed if I tried to be "too close" it might backfire.
Yesterday, I took the youngest three to the pool.  I didn't even bother to bring a book.  I was in the water pretty much the whole time, except when I watching Ms. D dive and Princess P & Si Guy go down the big kid slides.  In the water, I was a log, a frog chasing flies to eat, a frog being chased by a snake, and a snake ramming against a lobster shaped "rock" trying to knock a frog into the water.  I adjusted goggles and found diving sticks.  I gave "rides" on my legs under the water.  I was exhausted by the time I came home.  It was great fun.  As time goes on there will be fewer days like this, and more drop offs or just hanging back with a book.
Today, my three oldest get home from camps, and for two whole days I'll have all six of them before my oldest goes on a mission trip.  I wonder what those two days will have in store.

No comments: