Friday, August 10, 2012

The great thing about hearts

        Hearts are like the "lockers" in the Percy Jackson books.  It is unbelievable how much we can stuff in there.  We are reminded of this every time we have another child.  How can we possibly love this tiny person as much as the amazing kids we already have?  Yet we always do.  Sometimes we even grow to love all of them even more.
       Yet last weekend I was devastated by a letter.  My kindie would be unable to attend the same fabulous school his siblings had attended since we moved back to KC about six years ago.  Last summer, we moved a little bit east, so it was a transfer to attend there.  This year there are already sixty in K.  There is no room.
     So we went through some stages of grief.  First denial.  A phone call to the district going "what do you mean there's no room?"  Well, they meant there's no room.  20 kids per class is a pretty full kindergarten.
Then there was anger and confusion.  How many kids should we move?  How could we handle two drop offs?  This was outrageous, insane!  Next of course, was acceptance.
   I walked down to the new school and roamed the building.  At this point I still wasn't sure how many kids to send with him.  Then I saw the library.  Yes folks, bibliophilic art freak I am, it was the library that pushed me over the line.  I must have spent half an hour in there, just taking it in:  the bronze sculptures on top of the shelves, the three shelves per grade level of chat 'n chew books, the mix of "pop" kids books and literature, the state symbols painted on the wall and two story ceiling, the "surprise art" on the shelves with books and "street signs" named after authors.  The books pictured clinched it for my third grade daughter.
I will always love our first elementary in a special way.  It's just my heart has grown, and I'm starting to love this one too.

No comments: