Thursday, November 22, 2012

trivial things I am thankful for.

We all know the standard list of things to be thankful for on Thanksgiving:  our faith, friends, and families, our kids teachers and coaches,  public servants, modern conveniences like running water & electricity, having our needs met through homes, jobs, and ample availability of groceries.  We all have much to be thankful for.  One of the most eye-rolling repeated phrases my kids know is when I say
"Have an attitude of what?"
"Gratitude" they chime in unison.

So much of our happiness in life is based on what we're grateful for.  Some of the not-so-little things I'm grateful for are:

1)How well my kids get along.  Whether it's making up rules for a board game, or seeing our youngest son use our oldest son as a recliner, moments where my kids are together and enjoying being together are among my favorites.
2) Watching my husband with our kids, especially reading stories at bedtime, or playing games.  (Also watching my husband when he's concentrating...or happy.  Or pretty much anytime. I kinda like him.)
3) That my marriage is peaceful and harmonious.  That we still have fun together, and like each other, and want to be around each other pretty much all the time.
4) That my in-laws are present, involved with our kids, and all around fabulous.
5)  That my own parents are only a couple hours away, and always waiting in the wings when I need them.
6) My amazing network of friends, online and off. I never go a day without a smile or laugh because of them.

With that stated, here are 30 small, maybe silly things I am grateful for.

1) Caribou Coffee in Hy-vee.   Eggnog latte with real eggnog anyone?
2) Sunny days on my deck with a book.
3) When a parking space opens up just where I need it.
4) Music, art, and theater.  Without them my soul would feel incomplete.
5) Free time.
6) Being caught up on any single chore.
7) Magazines, especially in my bed when I'm half brain-dead.
8) Books as well...an affordable vacation to any world I choose.
9) spontaneous silliness, whether it's a chicken puppet or impromptu face contest
10) cooking- a creative outlet, a way to get information out of teenagers, teaching math and chemistry to elementary kids in sneaky ways, collaborative efforts with my husband, my favorite activity.
11) 24 hour grocery stores.
12) the smells of the seasons, from the first candle in autumn to the chlorine of the pool in summer.
13) Crocs.  The most indestructible, comfortable, summer shoe on earth.
14) Dollar Tree.  For the things kids lose faster than they blink, like gloves and sparkly barrettes..and necessities like soap and shampoo.
15)  Stuffed animals and pillows
16) Gardening
17) nice smelling hair and body stuff
18)  Door 2 Door Organics.  I love having produce delivered to my house, and how much easier to get kids interested in it because it's "mail".
19) Boiler heat.  Our current house has radiators.  That means it doesn't dry out in the winter, and feels warmer at a cooler temp on the thermostat.
20) Hardwood floors with fuzzy socks.
22) Ice cream
23) nice pens and notebooks, colored pencils, markers, and crayons
24) sports and games
25) fuzzy blankets, especially on the couch watching tv "sharing" with the kids
26)  small inconveniences that save me big problems later.
27) the kindness of strangers
28) the time and ability to volunteer
29) camping
30) improvisation...whether it's duct tape costumes or how to substitute for ingredients, new ways to old things are always fun.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: