Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's 2013? Really.

It's 2013.  That means that Mr. Man and I have been together for sixteen years.  It really doesn't feel like it's been that long.  Today was a day that highlighted why I love my husband though.
He is a rock.  Pretty much unwavering.
I'm more like the waves.  I have a lot more ups and downs.  Today was waaay down.
And what crashed me, was a series of events, including a huge emotional tidal wave mid-afternoon.
The rock was still there when I  came back.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Let me tell you something else about Mr.Man.  I.do.not.control.him.  I don't change his mind either.
Somewhere along the way in our marriage, many people have stoned the messenger so to speak.
This is because he's pretty silent, and averse to conflict....so even when something bugs him he's reluctant to make waves.  Thankfully, we rarely disagree.  A lot of times, I even bend my opinion to his.  Yet somehow, because I'm the "voice" in the relationship most of the time, occasionally people assume I'm the instigator of all opinions, and that my own come first.  Not so.  I am big fan of submission doctrine.  (That is a post for another time.)
He has a friend who can't believe I buy all his clothes.  He hates to shop.  He's given me very specific parameters about his preferences.  I keep the receipts.  He's happier not to mess with it.
He has a relative who believes I "made" his religious views change.  Uh, no.  They "changed" about eight years before I met him.   It's just before I became his connection, he chose not to make them known, because he.hates.conflict.
Anyone else who has any doubts can eat with us for a week....and then ask my parents about how I felt about tomatoes while I was growing up.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I still have a lot to learn from my husband.  His constant "what will be will be" attitude would be a good place to start. Not everything that's broken needs to be fixed.  After all, "you can still play with it."

No comments: