Saturday, May 25, 2013

Summer Break is here.

    The last week of school always feels like a mom marathon.  Picnics, field trips, award ceremonies.....I don't know how moms that work do it.  It's exhausting, and without sacred nap I'm not sure this mom would have made it through.  Then they come home.   For 80 days, give or take a few, I get to do what my home school friends do for 365.
    The first day is usually no problem.  A lot of tv gets watched.  Little eyes glaze over from the computer screen.  Then they head outside to "water" my yard and garden and roll like little piggies in the mud.
   The second day, we pull out a new activity or two.  This year it was build-your-own dino kits.  The girls will get to the "fancy nancy" jewelry later.  Every now and then a kid asks "Where's Dad?"  He's at work kid.  Unless you work in a school, there is no summer vacation for grown ups.  My freshly minted second grader declares "I want to be a teacher."
   This summer break, day 2 brought a different kind of breaking.  EARLY in the morning, I get this phone call from my husband.  "Honey, I hit a curb and blew out two tires."  All right.  I'm on my way.  I wake up our oldest and let him know he's in charge for a while.  Never have I been more grateful to have a laid back, responsible teenager.
    We talk on the phone while I'm getting myself together.  Is there a used tire place nearby?  Should we call the insurance?  Should we have it towed back to where we bought the tires and hope we bought the hazard coverage?  I'm kind of a wreck by the time I get up there.
    I park the van.  I cut across Sonic's parking lot, and I see his car.  Then I look up, and just a little further to the side I see a sign that God has a sense of humor in his provision.  "Goodyear."
Mr. Man is sitting in his car, playing on his phone.  I tap on the window.   "Uh honey.  Didn't you see there's a Goodyear right there?"
"No."  He's so cute when he blushes.  We get the car set up and I drive him to work.
Sure I'll have to come back later with a couple of kids in tow to pick up the car, but the "crisis" was dealt with.   Still, it's not the kind of break we have in mind when we think of summer.

No comments: