Friday, November 4, 2011

I'm a turkey hugger.

      I love direct deposit.  I stalk grocery stores as soon as the paycheck hits the bank.   Tonight, the most important place on my moonlight list was Hy-vee.  88 cent a dozen eggs and 2.99lb boneless ham w/ free Honeysuckle turkey made this an exciting hunt.
   I arrive to prowl the produce.  No decent pears left.  I'll come back early morning Saturday and try again.  I score some cheap applesauce.  I round back to the meat department and get the 1.77lb boneless,skinless chicken breasts & .99lb chicken thighs.  Then I turn to hit the "meat specials" case.  They had the wrong brand of turkey.
     For most families this is a "so what" moment.
     For mine, it's an " arrrgh, how many flippin Hy-vees am I going to have to stalk" moment.   This is the curse of having food related allergies and chronic illnesses.  The wrong brand just won't do.  It has a gravy packet already contaminating the bird.  It has artificial coloring.  It may have MSG.  Bad news bird indeed.
      I huff and puff my way through the rest of my short list.  Miracle of miracles they had the Udi bread for E1.  The cheap eggs were still there...but they're out of a couple other items I was looking for as well.   I grouse my way back to my car and head an entire mile or two southward to Hy-vee #2.
    I really wasn't that hopeful walking in the door, but I had to know.  I raced to the back of the store and behold, a dazzling array of turkeys in the correct brand, in fine, non-frosted but still frozen condition.  I was so excited I grabbed the perfect turkey and hugged it.  I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited these days.  Here's hoping I'm as successful when I go on the prowl for our Thanksgiving Tom in a couple weeks.    Worst comes to worst I'll cook two free hens.  Now I know where to find them I'm truly grateful.

No comments: