Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Teen Drama, or teen drama?

  I'm in a parenting quagmire with our oldest son.  He's brilliant.  He's personable.  He's funny.  He's creative.  He's active in the church & community.  He's failing multiple classes from not turning stuff in....and he didn't get kicked out of the school play over it either.  He got to have his cake and eat it too.
    I relayed my grief to a high school teacher friend.  Her perspective:
    "I get a student like that every three years or so.  They're so darn nice, and respectful, and you know they're capable of doing well...so you believe them when they 'forget' or when they agree to come in to make it up, and then they never show up!  As the teacher you're thinking, I should've e-mailed his parents a week ago! ACK!  The little con artist."  Yep.  That's my son. 
     Now it's my job to get him back on the straight and narrow.   It's not going to matter if he's an Eagle scout if he doesn't meet the minimum GPA for admission at the college of his choice. 
  "But mom, this year doesn't really matter.  My grades don't count yet anyway."
  "Son, this is the practice round.  The habits you form (or don't form) now will come back to you later."
   "Ok.  I get it."  and then I get three nasty-grams from the schools automated system over the next week. (sigh)  Rinse. repeat.  
    This week seems to be going better.  He is showing us real, current homework, and I don't have any nasty-grams yet.  I can hope....because I'd really rather dwell on his great acting abilities on the stage than off it.

No comments: