Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Being thankful for what is not.

Tonight I spent the evening at the ER with our second son. The doctor was amazed at how calm I was, despite the news/non-news about his condition. Although at the time I blew it off as experience in medical settings, the truth was I was thankful for what is NOT wrong with my son.

He did not have any abnormal labwork. (No meningitis or other serious infection.)
He did not have an abnormal CAT scan. (Between these two, no brain tumor is likely to be involved.)
He did not need to be admitted or transferred, (a consult was done by phone by the excellent doctor we had drawn who "just happened" to have a special needs child of his own thus have the connections we needed on a personal level.)
Whatever he has may be chronic, but it is not terminal.

Other things that went well.

The ER wasn't overly busy.
We were taken back to a room rather quickly.
My son remained positive and calm throughout.
There were shows he liked on the entire time we were in the ER.
We got a competent, calm, compassionate doctor who likes kids, and was straight forward without being overbearing or rude.
We had a kid-friendly nurse.
His IV went in on the first try.
It was time alone with one of my kids.

Still working on the attitude of gratitude when I saw what the prescription was for, and heard "neurology appointment".....(the great land of the unknown in medicine.)..but practice makes perfect, right?

No comments: