Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snow, glorious snow.

One thing I love about being a SAHM. I can still love snow. I don't have to go out every day and battle it on the roads. I don't have to scrape my own car very often. So the adult bitterness against it never really set into my life.

Why do I love snow? I have six kids. How could I not?

In younger kids, snow means little eyes peering over the windowsill, jaws dropped in wonder.
Such pretty, drifty, sparkly stuff. They just have to get a closer look. So, wrapped up like a mummy in layers of underclothes, clothes, snow clothes, hats, mittens, scarves, boots, they venture out moving like little stiff robots. Then the inevitable happens. One mitten comes off, and they have to touch it.
"Ow! It cold!" "Mamma!" (waddling back to the door.)
In we go to run hands under warm water and reinforce the idea of dressing for the weather.
Now with some kids it's their feet, because they refused to wear boots...but the results pretty much the same. I think I must be a little bit of a sadist to find this funny.
In school age kids, the snow brings the inevitable question "Are they going to cancel school?"
The parent answer is "I don't know. we'll see."
The parent thought is more definite. Either "Yeah, right, for half an inch of fluff that will melt by morning" or "What insane bus driver will be out in 4" of snow on the road. Yes! It's canceled, but that doesn't mean you're going anywhere kid."
There is a certain satisfaction of getting out of bed in the morning and turning off the kids alarms though. Or when they start stirring saying "Go back to sleep. There's no school today."
I kind of love those snuggle down under the covers, group sleep mornings.
The problem is they're followed by the severe cabin fever afternoons.
The first day they can stomp in the yard and build snowmen.
The second day they can poke sticks in the snow in the back yard.
By the third though, we're all in trouble.
This year though, on many of those afternoons, they've been rescued by an angel of light, or at least a friend of mine that's an EMT. He took them sledding. And when I see the pics of joy from that I just can't hate snow. It brings too much joy to my kids.

No comments: