Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why I married a hermit

Every now and then, some acquaintance of mine will ask why I married Mr.M. (or am still married to him.) Don't judge the person asking here. They generally don't know him well.
They just see the contrast in our personalities, and know we have some separate hobbies.
Maybe they met him at a party where he sat in the corner with a book, barely grunting a greeting to anyone. Maybe they've known me a while and still haven't met him at all.
I have to admit, from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem to make sense. Yet, I can't imagine my life without him.

The short answer is God chose him for me..
These people are rarely satisfied by the short answer.
So here's the long answer.

A long time ago, I wrote a list. I was sick of dating. So, I wrote a list. I wrote a list of attributes I wanted in a husband. I was not ever going to get seriously involved with another man romantically unless he matched up to that list. I put the list in a drawer. I forgot about it.
About 6 months later I met my husband. About six months after that we were married.
About 5 years ago, in the process of moving I found the journal with that list. My husband has every single trait I asked God for in a husband. I was given exactly what I wanted.
I did not put down extrovert. And truthfully, I'm glad Mr. M is what he is.
He's centered, emotionally stable, hard working, loving & kind.
While he's not a beacon of encouragement and enthusiasm, he's not critical or afraid to get his own hands dirty to get things done. The man never curses or complains. Ever.
He's patient & considerate. He's the one who explains things for the millionth time, and washes the hand wash dishes. If the washer is in the basement, he does the laundry, because he knows stairs are hard for me and that bugs and concrete floors creep me out.
He's brilliant. We can converse on any topic intelligently, and he won't be offended if I get a little "intense". He knows I'm not angry. I'm passionate. We rarely disagree, so often one of us plays "devils advocate."
We both work hard at learning about the other one's interests. He's watched an episode of Grey's (even though med shows make him turn green.) I've learned about NBA basketball.
Sometimes we pick up something new. (Never, in a million years, did I think I would be a secular fantasy fan.) Sometimes we don't. (He will never sing karaoke, ever. )
Bottom line though, is we've grown together over the years, and our lives are more intertwined now than ever....and that doesn't even touch the kids and what they've done to our relationship.

There are moments there that I could love him for the rest of my life for.
He's so sensitive to my needs he can reach out and wake me from a nightmare in his sleep.
Just pick a kid moment, any of them. Whether telling silly jokes with the older boys, reading Si Guy his "truck book" or miss D her purple daisy bible, or letting Miss P "help" clean or cook.
Sometimes, I can "feel" him praying....and the peace that comes with it.
We can't beat God's best for us, and I know that I know that I know my husband is God's best for me. I just hope I am the same for him.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy said...

So glad you are blessed in your marriage, Church, and children Merrilyn!