Saturday, July 23, 2011

taking a day to let it be

Every now and then a Saturday comes along that screams "You're family needs you more than housework does."  Today is one of those Saturdays.
This morning started with a nice late breakfast.  Mr. M made pancakes and I put together a fruit compote for the topping of frozen strawberries & blueberries with some fresh cherries, simmered in orange juice w/ a bit of honey, cardamon, and cinnamon.  Then we had our itty bit of laundry/pick up/dishes, (Is there really ever such a thing as a chore free day?) and we were off.
Off to crown center for the noon FREE puppet show.  A very amusing production involving marionettes, frogs singing "at the hop", and more.  Then we went to the interactive rain forest.  There was something for all the kids, from simple puzzles and coloring pages to hands on activities with matching and a microscope to interactive video displays.
After all this, we brought the littles home w/ slushees from QT for some chill time.
While they were hanging out at home it was time for me to go pick up our oldest, who was returning from 3MT, a localish missions trip.
"Mom, you probably want the money I have left."
"Would be nice."
"Here you go. It isn't much."
"That's okay.  I gave it to you to spend."
"There was this mennonite store.  They had this candy that's like, the best candy ever."
O-kaay.  The kid spent $20 on candy....wait for it.
"Oh, does the cd player in Dad's car work.  I got this really great music from the guy who led music at camp."
He spent his own money on a worship cd.  All acoustic guitar. 
"And I bought a hat and a t-shirt."
Well, he needs clothes for school. 
"I brought home these extra hats for the sibs.  I saved them this piece of candy too."
This is totally in character for this kid...yet I still find my heart about to burst in love and pride.
"So what did you DO, besides eat and shop?
He shrugs.  "Painted and sprayed wasp nests."
"And there was the music too.  I really liked it, hence the CD."
"Anything else."
"The devotional was kind of weird mom, but I liked the music and prayed a lot."
This is his first reference to personal prayer at all.  I've always known he does it, but this is the first time he's been comfortable talking about it.
"So you liked it?"
"It was fun."
Good enough for me.  That describes our day today pretty well.  It was fun.

No comments: