Friday, April 2, 2010

Princess D's Easter Questions

I love my kids. Earlier this week in the car, (great place for all kids to ask deep questions, especially in rush hour traffic)...my daughter and I were talking about Easter.

"Mom. Why are there bunnies at Easter?"
"Well, some people see bunnies as a symbol of new life/spring."
"But Easter is about JESUS!"
"That's right honey. It's about the new Life Jesus brings. Jesus is what's real, but it doesn't hurt to have the eggs and bunnies and stuff to help celebrate."
"But where did the bunnies come from?"
"Norse mythology, a Goddess names Ishtara, part of where Easter got it's name from."
"But that's pretend?"
"Yeah, that's just an old story to explain spring, and celebrate the new life that comes with spring."
"But OUR Easter is about Jesus, right?"
"Mmm.hmm. Yes, our Easter is about Jesus life he gave for us and shares with us because he rose from the dead."
"o.k."

I love it that my daughter's question was not "Is the Easter Bunny real?" but rather "How does the Easter bunny tie in to Jesus?"
I hope she asks that question about everything in life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And yes, I know Ishtara wasn't Norse. Rush hour mommy brain isn't the best historian....