Friday, April 1, 2011

Grey's Anatomy

This post has some more "mature" themes than is common here at Mama's house.  Something about having a couple kids on the dawn of adolescence.
Grey's Anatomy is my guilty pleasure show.  Last night, my 12 year old wanted to watch it with me.   It has some very "mature" content, but at least for this particular episode I'm glad he did.  It led to some very interesting discussion.
Topic 1:
Why we wear seatbelts EVERY minute the car is moving.The opening scene had Callie splayed across the hood of a car, being thrown because she had unbuckled her seatbelt to reach the back seat, and then never fastened it again. 
Topic 2:
Out of body experiences, brain trauma's.  Callie wasn't in the best of shape throughout the show
Topic 3:
Sexuality.  E1 walked in as I broached this topic w/ our oldest.
He was horrified and fascinated at the same time to find out there were "girl-girl" and "boy-boy" couples out there.
We stated our stance of "we hope that is a road none of you go down,  (for religious and health reasons) but people have the right to make their own choices." and "people's relationship statuses do not give you a reason to treat them poorly" and "Mind your own bees."  Oddly enough, the best allegory I know for our position of sexuality issues is C.S. Lewis' discussing wine.  " I know there are people who think it is wrong to have a glass of wine with dinner, but I would be greatly disappointed if they made it illegal for me to do so." (paraphrased from Mere Christianity.)
There was also the reinforcement of "yes premarital sex is common, but please don't do it.  That's how diseases/babies happen, and condoms aren't perfect."

Topic 4:  No matter what choices you make, we can talk about them, and I will love you no matter what.  I will be happy for your happiness and have sorrow with your sorrow, because you are mine. 
Life isn't t.v.   but sometimes t.v. helps us to explain the ins and outs of life.

No comments: