Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's been a while since I've taken a day "just" to be a mom.

Today was truly a gift. 

It started getting hot.  I had requests for the pool, and thought "why not?"
Another hour later, we had found swimwear and towels,
sunscreen was applied, amidst a few protesting howls.
Into van, to Merriam we go.
There my kids were truly the show.

The first pool trip of summer is like meeting an old friend after a long trip.  We test the waters, see what we remember...but eventually you just take a dip.
Our oldest son showed me he could use the high dive.  After that he was all smiles and high fives.
The next two asked to dive low, but I made them swim across the pool for me before I'd let them go.
Princess D was indignant at first, that I made her stay close until her strokes were rehearsed.
Slides and splashes we had aplenty.
Then the inevitable happened.  Their stomachs were empty.

Now we're back home and crashed out content.
Should we go back on Thursday?  They smiled their assent.

No comments: