Sunday, October 2, 2011

Define productive.

As per http://www.dictionary.com
[pruh-duhk-tiv]
adjective 1. having the power of producing;  generative; creative:
     Lately I've been hung up on that word, productive.  How much do I have to do in a day to be worthy of my status as a stay at home mom?   The thing is, who defines what is a productive activity anyway?
     I find spending a couple hours at the park with Si Guy very productive.  I find spending some time coloring and talking about pictures with him productive too.  Whereas, what is the generative or creative aspect of loading the dishwasher?
     I sometimes feel like we misuse the word productive, or only apply it by definition four:
4.  Economics . producing  or tending to produce  goods and services having exchange value.
      This is the heart of the matter right here.   Almost every time I feel like I'm not "sufficient", it has to do with economics.  What I do doesn't really have an "exchange" value, but that doesn't mean it's not productive.  Playing with my kids, writing, home-making is very productive.  That's why it's the first definition right?
 



 

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

nice contrast of word definitions :)