Saturday, October 22, 2011

Happy Birthday to Spike!

     That's our eldest child's self selected nickname.  I find it funny because it doesn't reflect his personality at all, except possibly in a mario-type dino character kind of way.   When I think of our oldest, I think funny, cuddly, companion...not hedgehog.  Maybe Sonic is where he got the nickname from.
     Yesterday, I became the parent of a resident teen.  I'm so glad I get to experience the teen years with a laid back kid first.   I'm also glad he's letting me get away with it being a minor event amongst the overly busy fall schedule this year.  It's not necessarily out of the kindness of his heart, given what he's scheming for next year, but elaborate rube goldberg type  plans are what adolescence is made of.
      I love this kids heart.  He literally jumps at the opportunity to serve.  He's volunteered w/ Boy Scouts, PTA, and our church.  His first youth trip was a service missions trip that he earned by selling $1 food at Old Shawnee days.  It involved sleeping on a tile floor, wasp spray, and a lot painting.  His regular volunteer activities both involve working with younger children.  He's a den chief with scouts and a preschool volunteer with AWANA.  He really gets our family theme of "a heart to God and a hand to man."
    I love that, despite being a teen, he still is very open about his affection for us.  The other night I quipped at him "What am I, a pillow?" as he was headbutting his way under my arm on the couch.
"Yes, you're the pillow and Dad's the mattress." hee hee, was his reply.
   His Dad, the mattress.  This tiny baby that slept on Dad's chest, and nowhere else if Dad was anywhere in sight, who loved his crib gym and almost never cried.  That baby is thirteen?  Really?
Really.  I couldn't be prouder.

1 comment:

Janet L said...

You now need to change your "about me" as your oldest is no longer a preteen! He's a great kid with a servant's heart.