Monday, October 3, 2011

I don't speak car.

     Today this lack of communication led to flashing lights, overheating, and a rumbling engine, not unlike an unexpected bout of PMS.  We made it to the park where we were meeting friends and I popped the hood.  It was out of coolant.  There was nada in the reservoir, kind of like me when I run out of diet soda.  I felt so much empathy towards my van I quickly dialed my valium, (husband).   He appeared, my knight in shining Vibe w/ coolant in hand and refilled the reservoir.    
     We had a fantastic play date with our friends on a perfect outdoor day.  The kids got along splendidly.  On the nature walk back to the van, I discovered Miss P is a budding naturalist.  She brought a sack of drawing stuff and a notebook, and would plop down wherever she saw something interesting to "draw" it.   Miss D and E2 were holding hands on the way back to the car.  Everything seemed so ideal.  It probably was the best day we'd had out in a long time.
     I started the car, and the drive towards home started off fine until I hit the same intersection the light came on at on the way to the park.  Then the van started overheating, again.  We managed to run the heat full blast and play engine on, engine off, long enough to get to the dealer that was just a few blocks away.  Call that a God thing.  My dh had chosen to work from home today, and our oldest had no school too, so we were able to transport home in shifts.  Call that a God thing too.  He must have known my reservoir was already empty.

No comments: