Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The fix me project

Right now, I'm assessing options for a "fix-me" project. I'm still a member at Sparkpeople. My spark has just kind of been fizzled. With warm weather coming, I get the itch to exercise again. I always enjoy walking, but it's more recreational than anything. So far I've looked into step aerobics, curves, jazzercise, and most recently, been considering yoga. Yoga theoretically can help with arthritis and anxiety issues, so it seemed like a good idea for me to try. I even e-mailed my two most qualified exercise addicted friends with my very serious question, "Do you know of a yoga class for whales?"
One friend did not reply. She doesn't know me that well though. However, the other one, the one who's known me for 20 years, but not seen me in the 14 I've been married, did.
"You have to try Bikram Yoga! It totally kicks your butt but is sooo awesome."
Okay. If it totally kicks your butt, what is it going to do to mine? I can't wear jeans and tie my shoes without bending into the forbidden "w" sitting position. I've seen the rabbit pose. This body is more like the carrot, okay marshmallow.
"It's hot yoga. The room is 105 degrees w/ 40% humidity."
Love you dear, but I'm 90lbs heavier than when you last saw me. Are you sure I won't melt?
"It's a 90 minute class."
Okay, 90 minutes + driving without any kids. Now THAT sounds decadent, luxurious, perhaps a bit selfish though. But I have kids. Even next fall when miss P starts K. What will I do with the tornado?
"We have people of ALL fitness levels!"
Okay, I'll think about it. After I take my six kids tent camping for 5 days next week. Of course, to some people that sounds equally impossible. And I'd like to be able to keep doing what I do, camping, walking, playing soccer with my kids. I'd like to be a walking leader at camp without feeling like death for the first three days. But isn't there a beginner's yoga?
Bikram is pretty hard core. My core hasn't been hard in years, if ever. It's more soft and cuddly.
And Bikram doesn't come cheap either. I month of unlimited Yoga for me is about 1.5 months
at a community center for my whole family.
"But Yoga is all about bare feet."
Ah, hit me where it hurts. You KNOW how I hate shoes!
What to do, what to do????
Feedback welcome. It's been a while since I've heard from some of you.

2 comments:

acopperpenny said...

Hi there you!
First- Please don't knock how you look. Being emotionally and mentally healthy about how you look is as important as feeling you are physically healthy.

Second- Have you considered water aerobics? Water is a great resistance workout, but it's also a great support of those extra pounds until they come off. Plus it's super fabulous on the back and knees! I know!

I wish you the best of luck and I'm right there with you.

Tea~ said...

Glad to see acopperpenny suggested water aerobics. I certainly agree with her. I know what you mean about the chlorine though. Maybe finding an outdoor class in the summer will help the nose burn!

My suggestions for yoga - see if the community center offers it. Go, and do the class with half effort. Yes, you'll still get a burn from the class and no, you won't hurt yourself from trying too hard or twisting the wrong way. Concentrate on the deep breathing. Finally, yoga allows for all body types. I drag my 300lb brother with me. I'm skinny & can twist into the most advanced poses...but I can't do a push-up to save my life (no strength). So don't worry! Even us pretzels have a challenge! Keep at it!