Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bob's gluten free dairy free zucchinni bread

People are constantly asking me, what do I feed my kids?
The answer is pretty simple, I live in my kitchen.
Yeah, I made zucchinni bread last night. One zucchini made two loaves, with zucchinni left over! Gotta love that farmer's market. This was a newish recipe for us, but I believe it was a success!
This recipe is gluten free, soy free, dairy free, corn free(unless you count xantham gum), and nut free. It is NOT egg free...Although I'm almost certain it could be adapted further to meet that criteria.

So....What did we do?

I preheat my toaster oven to 350. I don't have a regular oven right now, but from past expereince, it would *probably* be 325.

Start w/ 2 cups of zucc. 3 eggs, 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of crushed pineapple, drained. Mix well and set aside. (We especially like apricot kernel oil in baked goods.)

On the dry team!

2-2 1/2 cups of teff flour, depending on how soggy your zucc is.
1/2 cup sorghum or millet flour
1/4 c tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
3/4 tsp baking powder, corn free of course
2 tsp. xantham gum
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2-1tsp powdered vanilla...this stuff is much stronger than extract, we use authentic foods brand because so many of the others have corn in them
1/2-3/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg. The preground stuff doesn't even come close.
1/8-1/4 tsp ground cloves if you like them.


Now the sugar we're still playing with, but last night I used about 3/4c brown and 1/4 cup white. I think next time I'll use 1c. brown and 1/4 cup white. The recipe I adapted this from used 2c white, and that was just sick to us.

So anyway, combine all those dry ingredients thoroughly. It's important for those flours to be well blended or you'll end up w/ a layer of crumbly stuff w/ a rubber ball on top.

Then incorporate the wet into the bowl w/ the dry until it's about 1/2 mixed. Then add your "goodie." Our favorite goodie is 1c raisins. It would taste great w/ dried blueberries or cranberries too. Finish the mixing.

This makes 2 pans! Take your pick.
9 x9 for 33-38 minutes.
loaf pan for 60-65 minutes.

We use one of each.

Then, cool completely in pan! This is important, unless you like soggy middles. GF breads finish setting as they cool. They tend to either fall apart or be gummy if you cut into them too soon.

The 9x9 pan was breakfast this morning...Since it's gone and I haven't found any crumbs, I'm assuming the kids liked it just fine. :)

Gotta go deal w/ the destructive duo. They're coloring this morning, hopefully on paper!

1 comment:

MagenRanae said...

What a great mama you are - to learn about all the necessary food adjustments your kiddos need. You used so many ingredients in that recipe that I've never even heard of!