Thursday, May 21, 2009

some days the cleaning up

that's just a normal part of mom-hood gets to me. I really don't mind cleaning the food from the carpet under the table, the bathroom floor after Mr. & Mrs. Noah take their bath after lunch, or changing diapers several times a day. I don't mind clearing the table, vacuuming the living room, or wiping markers off of walls weekly. What I do mind is doing the clean-up for "those who should know better."

It's finding the lost lunchbox, packing it and getting to school for the ten year old who left it under the couch instead of putting it away in the kitchen, or better yet, picking up the half eaten remnants from the living room floor when he "forgets" his lunch.
It's being told, yet again, by my kindie's teacher that he needs his blue folder...which is supposed to live in his backpack at all times, and cleaning the ketchup out of the carpet when he forgets to put it away.
It's digging through baskets for pants for an eight year old that watched t.v. instead of folding his laundry yesterday, or picking up his breakfast dishes from the front room....where no food is allowed.

Even Mr. M is not immune to those moments. This morning when Mr. M. left his shaving cream out on the bathroom counter, for Si Guy to put in his hair and decorate the bathroom with.

The worst thing though, is that when "she who should know better" is me, like when I forget to put the spices back on the spice rack, and our 2 & 3 yo "cook" with them all over the kitchen floor, when I lose track of where I left my drink and my 2yo finds it, when I realize I'm out of pants after giving Mr. & Mrs. Noah their bath. Sometimes I think each of my children has taken a small part of my memory along with them.

Or maybe it's just my head is so full of great plans for playing at the park, VBS, sidewalk chalk, reading stories, and all that other good stuff that it forgets the menial things of day to day. So my kids have a messy childhood, at least it's a fun one.

No comments: