Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Poor boy hasn't figured out he can't fly yet.

Our baby guy has figured out how to broad jump. The problem is he also likes to climb before he jumps. Today he jumped off the chair I was sitting in from behind me into the toy box. BONK! WAAAAH. Well, what did you expect?

Well, he didn't really expect anything. He's not even two yet. The problem is that our older kids still act the same way sometimes. Like the week before report cards.

"Uh, mom. I have to tell you something."
"K"
"I might not get that good a grade in Social Studies."
"Why not?"
"Well, I flunked two tests."
"What? I thought we had to sign those."
"Yeah, well...I left them in my desk."
"Well, hopefully your grade won't be too bad. Your DS would get lonely."
"What?!"
"You had to get straight A's to get it. You have to have A's and B's to keep it full time."
"That wasn't in the contract!"
"Oh yes it was. You were told from the start that your DS was tied to your grades. If you had told us this after the first test, we could have helped you get ready for the second one."
"Oh."
I had a ten year old in tears over the thought of losing his video games.
He was especially attentive in school the following week. His teacher even commented on it.
Report cards came home. His grade was a C. He now has extra homework or no weeknight DS. He chose extra homework, wishing he had thought to study more last quarter, but grateful we didn't take away his DS altogether.
Sometimes when we jump off the chair we land on the bed.

No comments: