Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Socks are like coathangers

I wrote this a few kids ago. Maybe it shows why I don't home school anymore. Or maybe, it just reflects life. Enjoy.

Socks are like coat hangers.

I've never had any luck keeping track of my kids socks. On laundry day, I'll throw one back into the basket, hopeful that it's mate will turn up in in the next load. By the end of the day it's hosting a "singles celebration" potluck with a live band.

With that many singles floating around, clearly it's craft time! Our comes the yarn, googly eyes and craft glue.

"Come on kids! Let's make sock puppets!"
What a foolish thing to say to three boys in the "superhero" phase.

"Mine's the good guy and YOURS is the bad guy."
"No! Mine good!"
"Mine a monster! Rooooaaar."
"Mommy! Chip's eating the glue."
"It's okay. It says it's non-toxic on the bottle."

Later, I throw away the empty glue bottle, untangle the yarn spiderwebs from the stair railings and door knobs, and pick up felt scraps from the floor. Sure enough, stuck to the towel I pick up for clean up is one of the "mystery mates" to a sock that is now a three googly eyed monster.
Into the laundry basket it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have six kids too 4 boys, 2 girls). I kept a sock basket for years. All socks went there and the kids could look through for what they needed. I kept mine and the baby's separate.

Unknown said...

Always glad to meet another large family mom! Thanks for stopping by.

MagenRanae said...

This is too cute. I especially love the line, "into the laundry basket it goes." It definitely portrays the perpetual nature of laundry!