Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Whaddya mean Mr. M isn't perfect?

Every now and then God sends me a reminder that He is God, and my husband is not. Anyone who knows me well knows how much I adore Mr. M, and how perfect we are for each other. That said, his humanity has been rather vexing to me the last couple of days.

You see on Monday, Mr. M ran out of gas on his way home from work. This wouldn't have been quite as vexing if he hadn't stopped at QT for breakfast that morning. He topped his tank, why not put five bucks in the car too?

Not that he didn't do his penance in waiting for me to find my phone when he called. Baby Guy and Princess P had played hide and seek with it that morning. Soooo, around five 'o clock I started getting worried. Mr. M is almost always home by 4:30, and that day he was supposed to be home at four.

So I turned off the t.v. and asked the troops to help me find my phone, assuring their cooperation by informing them until it was found the t.v. would not be turned back on. It was then our oldest so helpfully told me, "Oh yeah. I heard it ringing a while ago."
"WHAT?! Why didn't you tell me?"
"Uh, I was watching t.v. and just didn't think about it."
Sigh. We need to work on some communication skills.
"Which direction was it coming from?"
He kinda pointed, and three kids dove under the couch by the window and found it...because with the t.v. off they could here it ringing again. Later I asked Mr. M how many times he had tried to call. His reply, "Oh around 30."

So we go rescue Mr. M, buy a gas can because I can't find either one of the two we have in the garage, and put gas in it. We drive to the side of the highway where he ran out of gas, (actually two highways merging together. Nice spot dear.) We put the gas in the car. Then, his old car shows it's age and temperament. No way it's going to start out here in the dark and cold. It had been left alone too long.

Now of course this was the magical day where we were transferring money between two accounts, meaning that almost all of our money was unavailable until "tomorrow." So his car got to spend the night on the side of the highway. We just hoped it would still be there in the morning.

In the morning, after the three musketeers were off to school, we went to Hyperhades to buy a jumper. They had two kinds, about $30 apart. Mr. M bought the cheaper one. Of course it didn't work. So we went back for the other one. By then it was time for him to be at work and for me to be getting home to pick up Chip from kindergarten. So that meant I had the privilege of driving half an hour each way again later in the day, to try and rescue his car again.

Fast forwarding to after school and after homework, I got almost everyone loaded up again. (Our oldest was invited to a friends house. He was yelling & jumping for joy at seeing his friend and getting out of sitting in the car for an hour.) Off we go. We get Mr. M. We get him to his car, apparently in the nick of time. It now had one of those orange stickers on it saying how we had 10 hours to move it or it would be towed. Good thing is took about fifteen hours for the police to mark it in the first place.

The new jumper worked, and in the end all is well. My van will never have to rescue him because the old Jimmy was too cold to get up in the morning again.

1 comment:

Wonderscope Children's Museum of Kansas City said...

Thank you for your recent post about Wonderscope Children’s Museum of Kansas City! If you would like to receive two free admissions to use on your next visit, please email kyang@wonderscope.org with you name and address. Put “blogger” in the subject line. Thank You For Your Support!