Monday, April 13, 2009

There goes Peter Cottontail....

Leaving the Easter carnage trail. I spent my morning today in Easter recovery mode. All the colorful foil, eggshells, and plastic needed to be off my living room floor.

Easter is far and away the messiest holiday in our house. We celebrate our risen Lord with style! We have colored eggs, new Bibles/devotionals, and candy for breakfast. We watch "The Easter Carol" Veggietale. We review why Holy Week is important, how the crucifixion and the resurrection are THE core of our faith. We have an Easter egg hunt. Next year I'm going to "hide the word" in some of those eggs! (I hate it when my great inspiration comes the day after a holiday.)

If the weather is nice, we draw with rainbow colored sidewalk chalk and blow bubbles.

Where are the dresses? What about the service?
Well, in years past, when we had only a few children, we would get up for a candlelight sunrise service, but right now our church doesn't have one....so we just don't go. Easter is meant to be outdoors whenever possible. How can you see the "Son-rise" from the sanctuary? Besides, we are the church. I rather enjoy our "family Easter service" at home. It's not that I don't think church is important. We do. We're there most Sunday's throughout the year. It's just Easter is special. We enjoy our quiet communion with the Son, in the sun.

No comments: