Monday, December 22, 2008

Being content

I know it's been a while, but we had a case of sick kid followed by very sick mom around here. This exact moment is the first moment I've felt fully human since Thursday morning. I'm far from over it, and my sleep schedule is all upside-down, but I'm definitely going the right way now. So I thought I'd post a note on a study I did a while back.. Not exactly Christmas-y, we'll get back into that when my brain has fully returned, but meaningful nonetheless. So here's my take on 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 The verse will be boldface. My thoughts will be italic.

Make it your ambition to live a quiet life

(This goes smack in the face against what our American culture tells us, but it's truth. Quiet = contentment, whereas if one always seeks thrills, it seems the thrills keep having to get bigger.)

To mind your own business

(Ouch. How hard is that for most of us? And again, it goes against our culture. Tabloids would not exist if people could just follow this one simple command.)

& to work with your hands.

(God made us to work, not to try to get out of it. Why? Keep going.)

so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders,

(Lifestyle witnessing is the best!)

and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

(Work hard so you can be free!)

That's all for tonight, but it's great to be back.

3 comments:

S said...

I hope you and your family are all feeling better soon!

Have a good Christmas, and thanks for the thoughts!

Cousin S

Unknown said...

Thank you ma-am. I am doing much better. Peace be with you my friend.

MagenRanae said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to blog again soon...it's been a long time, and I don't even have sick kids for an excuse!