Monday, December 1, 2008

Not of this world....

As a moderately conservative Christian, I sometimes get put out by how we don't fit in. My kids haven't seen the movies their friends have seen. We've missed several PTA events because they're scheduled on Wednesday. And now, an organization my kids participate in that is supposed to "support" spirituality has scheduled their "holiday bowling party" for 11.am. on Christmas Sunday. So of course, our boys won't be able to attend. I feel like the Grinch.

Yet, the boys have taken it in stride. As soon as they saw the date and time, they instantly understood. They didn't try to beg or wheedle. They didn't grumble about it being unfair. I was truly uplifted by their response. I am proud of who they are, and the character they demonstrated. I predict a family bowling outing will probably occur during Christmas break.
Mr. M has the week off work. It should be a great family time.

But seeing what's coming doesn't make dealing with the present any easier....kind of like waiting for heaven. The Bible warned us about this feeling. That we'd be strangers and aliens. And really, it beats what our brothers and sisters around the world are going through by miles. It's kind of like complaining about a hangnail when your brother is hemorrhaging. Sure a band aid might be nice, but there are bigger things out there that need our help. I'm so proud of my friends who are missionaries, both long term, like the folks we know in Ireland, and short term, like my dear friend who's going to India for fifteen days leaving her husband and four children behind whom she's so very dedicated to day in and day out. They all sacrifice their personal wants for the good of the Kingdom. My prayers will be with them all. May we all continue to grow in faith.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I feel your pain. My son used to play competitive baseball.....so tournaments almost every weekend, and lots of them on Sunday mornings. During that time period, we weren't exactly faithful church-goers, so it wasn't that hard, but still made me feel bad.

Matthew & Karen said...

:)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support.