Sunday, July 12, 2009

Here's to us.

A dozen years from our wedding day. The day where our best man couldn't find a tux until 10 am. The day I stayed up all night the night before because I just had to do all the reception table arrangements myself. The day our flower girl and ring bearer "traded" what they were carrying, so they would both make it to the altar. The day I took the shortest walk to the biggest change in my life. Where it wasn't all about me anymore. Husbands are great practice for kids. (So are wives by the way. I had a lot more growing up to do than he did.)

Marriage is the not beginning of the end. It is the end of the beginning...of us. Then we branch off and start so many other new beginnings, all entwined, all separate. We grow together. We grow apart. We intertwine with each others lives again, to support each other, to help each other, to see the beauty in each other. We are one, but we're not. Marriage is probably the best allegory we have for our relationship with God, or perhaps even the nature of the trinity itself. It is simple, but inexplicable. It is beautiful beyond measure to live in and through.

Marriage is not a form of bondage. It is a form of freedom.
Marriage is not monotony & boredom. It is depth and discovery.
Marriage is not an excuse to be mediocre....it is committing your life to excel for the good of another.

Marriage is not a joke, but it should be full of laughter.
Marriage is meant to be a haven, but not a place to hide.
Marriage is not something to enter lightly, for it is meant to last a lifetime.

Marrying Martin was the second best thing I've done in my life. I'm his number two too. We both share the first one, in our choice to follow Christ.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy said...

Beautiful thoughts...
beautifully expressed!
Happy Anniversary!!