Thursday, July 23, 2009

My big boy is home

This week, I finally have my big boy home for the rest of the summer. On Monday, Mr. M was home too. What bliss.
On Tuesday, I tried to catch up on some housework.
Yesterday, we dragged out the kiddie pools. He blissfully floated for about an hour on a floatie in about 18" inches of water. I wish I had a good camera. It was great. Him sitting in the tire, with the dolphin floatie rested around his head like a crown.
Tonight, he starts at Football Factory. My sweet, gentle boy wants to play football. The kid who hated being accidentally tripped in soccer, wants to intentionally ram into boys that are his size and bigger. Kind of scary to me.
Saturday he'll officially be signed up and get his pads. Now it's true, boy #3 plays football, but that's flag. This is tackle.
Either he's going to man up or get hurt.
Not that our oldest hasn't been growing up in big ways. He got all his siblings breakfast this morning. He takes out the trash. He settles disputes. He does his homework without me breathing down his neck, even in summer.

Soccer was easier for me to take, but at least in football he has pads....and he plays where his brother plays. So this fall, it won't be quite as crazy. Princess D is taking dance the same day as Bob too. This is instead of soccer. We might even have an evening at home.
I know my kids are growing up, and making their own choices. My job is just to provide them with the tools to do well at what they choose.

Sometimes it's hard.
Especially when I feel their choices aren't suited to their abilities or natures.
But sometimes being exposed to something different makes them stronger.

No comments: